Wednesday 20 May 2009

Heroes

Fear not. This entry will not be focused upon the American Drama 'Heroes', which stalled badly after the first series.

A new hero has emerged to our screens, giving us a brief respite from the depressing stories that plague our screens. Step forward Mr Joel Armstrong.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsid_8050000/newsid_8059200/8059294.stm

Perhaps hero is the wrong word to describe Mr Armstrong. Afterall, he did not fight his way into a burning building or rush across a battlefield, dodging bullets, to rescue an injured colleague. But what he did do was go out of his way to make a difference. Quite inconsequential, in the grander scheme of things, as the world would not stop spinning if the duck in question has lost her 'bunch' or 'flock'. But a valuable attitude to life and an important lesson nonetheless. I like to think I would care enough and do the same in the exact same situation.

I shall never forget the 3 C's that were drummed into my psyche at an early age. Care; Courtesy; and Commitment. Now this was a very old fashioned school with values set in the Middle Ages (I exaggerate) and a headmaster from around that time (I don't). We were taught many lessons in 'etiquette' such as 'Always hold the door open for a lady'. Thankfully we were an all boys school and there were precious few ladies, otherwise each door would have been jammed full of pupils trying to abide by this rule and we would never have got anything done.

I digress. What is a hero to you? A hero can be a Bona Fide person of great courage or simply someone that you want to live up to or admire deeply. I do think that term hero gets bandied about far too often (as I have just done!) in modern day society (ooh that makes me feel old).

You read about football heroes and their heroic performances, but it is what should be expected from them AND it is just a game of little meaning at the end of the day. I certainly would not abide by the quote from the late Bill Shankly: 'Football is not a matter of life and death. It is more important than that'. Certainly players are adored and worshipped, but why? Do they deserve it? I guess that everybody needs a hero of some sort, for a variety of reasons.

There are plenty of people that get on with everyday life and put in a 'heroic' performance without the commercial spin-offs and adulation of the public. Plenty of people that will forfeit much for the good of others with little recognition. Is it the recognition that makes it worthwhile or is it the sense of making a difference? Oh dear, I am losing my train of thought. Shifting 13 tonnes of soil (twice!) does that to you.

My heroes? That my friends (and family) is for another time.

Heather Small (of M People) has the right idea. 'You've gotta search for the hero inside yourself'.

Sorry for rambling on. It might make sense one day or after a few glasses of vino. I shall leave you with the usual and this classic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vlFhKdRu5o


Swine Flu Watch: Discontinued. Life is too short (especially if one is infected).

Word of the Day: Illeist - one who refers to oneself in the third person (something Baz never does).
Quote of the Day: 'We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools' - (The late, great) Martin Luther King

I, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment